Sunday, September 28, 2008

Tale of two countries

It's Sunday and the weather has been wonderful all day. Tomorrow is supposed to verge on 'spectacular' at 77F. So, Ed and I drove the roller skate up to Vancouver from Seattle so I could ride the motorcycle back down to Seattle tomorrow. I have a few things to do on the bike and they're not being accomplished while I'm in Seattle alone.

Here's the strange part.

Ed was behind the wheel as we crossed the border into Canada. Ed held his Filipino passport with his Canadian Permanent Resident Card sticking out the top. He also held my US passport with my Nexus (priority travel) card sticking out the top.

Here's how the transaction went:

Guard: "Where do you live?"
Ed: "Seattle. Well, he's in Seattle and I'm in Vancouver."
Guard: "What's the relationship between you two."
Ed: "Uh, we're husbands."
Me (to Ed): "We're married also works."
Guard: "Well, there is no established terminology at this point, is there."
Me: "I guess you're right."
Guard: "Thank you gentlemen, have a nice day."
Ed: "But you never took our paperwork."
Guard: "I'm satisfied. Have a nice day."

No, we never handed the guard our passports or cards. Since this was at the new Peace Arch passageway, were they using magic card reader technology off the cards to verify without actual contact?

Yeah, crossing the border without getting a proctologist involved...... strange. Big brother IS watching.

1 comment:

Roobeedoo said...

Clearly you won him over with your joint charm. Or was it the Masonic handshake?