Friday, September 26, 2008

Eat like a teen, drink like a fish.

My visit to the SCCA was interesting today.

1) I need to increase my oral phosphorus intake. (Potatoes and Neutra-Phos?).
2) They're changing my magnesium infusion because I'm still wasting mag.
3) My prednisone (steroid) taper will happen quickly, starting this weekend.
4) They're doubling my BP med dosage.
5) My antiviral dose needs to increase by 50%.
6) I need to go back on Bactrim on M and Tu only.
7) My FK-506 (Tacrolimus) level is too high so I need to back it off to 4mg instead of 4.5mg.

And finally..... can I get a drumroll please..... I've lost 3 kilograms in 3 days. For the Yanks who read me, that's 2.2 pounds per day.

Yeah, that's bad. I know I put on a couple of extra pounds before the transplant. I know I've been retaining water because of the steroids. I know there are gonna be issues. BUT, I shouldn't be retaining water AND losing weight at this rate.

So my instructions are to keep my stomach full all the time and drink enough fluids to float my eyeballs. Already drinking too many sugary drinks.... Mountain Dew mostly. Will have to switch to low sodium club soda. Water is insanely bitter while on the steroids.

Hmmmmmm..... potatoes..... Solve the calorie/starch/digestibility/phosphorus problem. Gotta get some protein in there somehow..... I like 'cow juice', but it's prohibited within certain timeframes because of a pill interaction. Meat and potatoes...... I think I can handle it.

Eating and dosing is becoming a full time job.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try using Stevia (liquid) with lemon or lime juice in your water. The Stevia (comes from the root of a tree and has NO adverse side effects to the liver - unlike substitute sugars of other brands) and is VERY sweet - one drop is like a tablespoon! You will find the combo that works for you, I am certain, but this is an option that won't mess with your blood sugar. You can look it up on the internet for more details...Blessings, Annie

Roobeedoo said...

Mince and tatties for you!