Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Long and positive day at the SCCA

I spent nearly 6 hours at the SCCA today. Part of the day was spent discussing the results of my bone marrow biopsy last Friday.

The test was NEGATIVE, meaning there is no detectable cancer in my bone marrow. ("Negative" being very positive in this case.)

There are still a few peripheral tests that have to be run before we can claim victory, but things look pretty good right now.

I still have to deal with the GVHD, 39 pills, infusions, and topicals that fill my day, but it looks like we've been given a bit of a reprieve from the scythe of Death. I might have to pet his dog "Misery" from time to time, but his bark is often worse than his bite.

Realistically, I know that a single cancer cell hiding underneath my smallest toenail can re-start this whole process. I know that the treatments I've received over the last two years can give me a plethora of different cancers. I know I'll never be the man I was two years ago.

On the other hand, I look forward to becoming the man I'll be two years from now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah and Haleluyah!!!!!!!!!!

Roobeedoo said...

Just BE!
That's great news Andre!

Anonymous said...

Very, very cool! :)

Unknown said...

Rock On!
That's the single best post you've made yet.
I and others know the road is still long and twisty but hey, that's good when your a motorcyclist, right?

Congratulations Andre. My best to you and Ed. Hope to have you as a Canadian soon.

Anonymous said...

Praise be! I'm sure all of your friends will join me in aligning with you that you remain cancer-free to live your life fully and, whenever possible, joyfully enjoy the view over the handlebars!