Wednesday, November 12, 2008

LIVID at the SCCA

On Monday, I was told they would do a spelunking adventure on Wednesday. I was also told that they would want a blood test early in the day so that they could determine if I needed platelets before the expedition.

A bunch of hoo-hoo transpired and I was finally given a 10am blood test appointment for today, Wednesday. I appeared on time, submitted my two vials, and then waited for my 12:30 Sedation Assessment. Yup, 2.5 hours sitting in "respiratory isolation". Remember my minor head cold? "Go sit in that little room and read the 'Welcome to the SCCA' brochure 1200 times."

I was supposed to have the expedition done at 1:30.

Well, it didn't happen at 12:30 or 1:30. It happened at almost 3:00, and you know what? THEY DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WITH THE BLOOD SAMPLE. THERE WERE NO TESTS. THERE WERE NO RESULTS. THERE WAS NOTHING. NOTHING!

How in HELL do you write an order for a blood draw that's not associated with a specific test? How the HELL do you do a draw without performing a test?

Now, do you know what they want me to do at 10:30 tomorrow (Thursday)? COME IN FOR A BLOOD TEST so I can come back on Friday for another blood test at 8:30.

Do you know WHY? It's because they're worried that I might need platelets. This means they'll do the draw, do some tests, and maybe call me at 2pm to come back and get a 4 hour infusion.

Gee, I hope they don't need to do another "type and cross" before the platelets. That would mean I'd have to come back AGAIN and spend my entire Friday there too!

And apparently my team thinks we have an appointment on Friday. It doesn't show up on my schedule.

FWIW - my PAs are 'job sharing' with one working early in the week and the other working late in the week. My scheduler is on vacation.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. Morons. I'm gonna go ballistic tomorrow.

3 comments:

Roobeedoo said...

What a waste of time! Take your knitting next time?

Anonymous said...

ooo.. roobeedoo, maybe not a good idea. He may use the knitting needles for purposes unintended.

Anonymous said...

A few punctures of certain lead-assed PA's might get some action anyhow... ree-diculous! I will step up the prayers for protection against incompetents...Spiritwoman