Monday, October 22, 2007

Disturbing news

I had a visit with my consulting oncologist today. He communicates regularly with the SCCA docs and he sorta gave me a heads-up on what I might hear tomorrow or Wednesday during my scheduled meetings with SCCA staff.

1) My disease is progressing very rapidly now that I'm off chemo.
2) Aggressive treatment will be proposed this week.
3) An allogeneic transplant must be considered instead of an autologous.
4) My counts aren't looking good.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop.

3 comments:

Yuliya said...

Fuck.

Can I say that here?
Oh who cares.. Can't really think of anything more expressive. Well, I can, but I really shouldn't.

This is one hell of a rollercoaster ride for you, Andre. Just hang in there for the next "up" cycle, and keep the barf bag handy.

Today was my daughter's birthday. She would have turned 11, and I can't even begin to imagine what she would be like at that age. She'll always be 7 in my mind, funny how that works.

Here's to hoping tomorrow's results are not as bad as consulting thought.

Yuliya

motopacsman said...

Yuliya,
You can say whatever you want here. You've been through a particular brand of Hell that few of us could endure, and you've come out the other end retaining your strength and vibrancy.

I know there are two dates every year that are hard on you. Celebrate those days and remember the good times. Seven years of wonder is better than none.

Yuliya said...

Thank you for the kind words, Andre. I started saying that I understand the rollercoaster you are going through, but how can I.. the needles, the poisons they feed you, the runaround - few would know what it feels to be in your shoes. Thank you for the blog, it gives insight into the not-so-glamorous-no-yellow-jerseys day-to-day realities of cancer for the rest of us - and is good to know how you are doing.

Thinking about you and Ed.