Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Two things.

We had a heavy consultation today at the SCCA. The oncologist is a data freak with the bedside manner of a computer. She spent the entire consultation talking to and looking at Ed, not me.

But that's her. At least you get straight data.

Well, the straight data is this. We get to follow a different highway for the next several (3-6) months. We don't know exactly where the highway leads, but it's supposed to be smooth and gently uphill all the way. I'm supposed to improve and maintain as my next phase. That's it. Drugs, maintenance, improvement. Life. Regular life.

But here's the other side of the straight data. It has to do with the HLA typing/matching. See, because of the complexities, they won't do an allo transplant on me unless I get a 9 of 10 match. We already did the numbers for a 6 of 6 match, but there are lower levels to research. We knew that but didn't expect to hear what came next.

Because of a couple of "rare" HLA typing factors, she expects there will be no donors on record. In other words, no donors, no transplant, no cure, no nothing.

But we'll throw the dice. We'll do the search. Stranger things have happened.

So, we'll just drive down the highway of life with the cruise control set until our GPS tells us to explore a new offramp. (Either that, or the low fuel light comes on.)

I guess what we have to realize is that we've been told to just get back to living........ A reiteration of "just put my pants on every day". I can live with that. I mean I can literally live with that. It's OK.

Heck, I might dress for the office in the morning. Just because.

No comments: