Friday, January 04, 2008

Separation anxiety

I was talking to the daughter of a cancer patient a few days ago and we discussed an interesting phenomenon.

Long term care patients sometimes suffer separation anxiety when they're finished with treatments. Allow me to explain:

Once your life turns toward "the dark side", you become fully involved in a process that treats and/or cures your condition. It's a long undertaking and people become fully involved. This isn't like catching a cold. Thus, your whole life begins to revolve around cancer, treatments, doctors, schedules, trips, visits, procedures, etc., etc., etc.

You're no longer a mom, dad, lover, motorcyclist, geek, guru, or whatever. You're a full time cancer patient. It's literally your life and it becomes your lifestyle. And so, as a normal humanoid, you become involved with the lifestyle. You meet people in the lifestyle. You learn to like some of these people. Certainly you get used to the activity and the "doing".

But then one day the people at the facility say, "Congratulations! You're DONE! You're out of here."

Some part of us says, "YIPEE!" The other part of us says, "WTF am I gonna do now?"

It's like losing a job or being jilted by a not-so-perfect lover. Pleasure mixed with pain. Relief mixed with questions about tomorrow.

After all, if I'm out of here, what will I do tomorrow? When and how will I see my friends? How will I have (what little) outside communication with lively people? Why do I feel the way I feel?

Separation anxiety. That's what you feel. You're being cut off from the world you know and now you have to build a new world.

I was told this morning that I'm out of here. I'm done. "Have a nice day." "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out." It made me feel strange.

Of course, they were slightly wrong. People were reading that I was being released from the "auto" team and they were assuming I wasn't coming back. Of course, they didn't realize I'd be back pronto for a mini-allo....... thus assuaging my anxieties.

On the other hand, I get a couple of weeks vacation before the allo process begins. I'll try to put them to good use. Maybe I'll work on a little muscle tone.

Blessing? Curse? Just another "thing to ponder"? I'll let you know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi - so can you explain again your need for an allo? Is it because of the GVHD? What kind of expectations are there for you after a successful allo? Also - what are the percentages of people who get GVHD with an auto? Asking because my dad will be going through an auto in the coming months. Waiting on his protein levels to come down. Thanks and i really appreciate your blog - it's a great resource for us. We hope the best for you.

Anonymous said...

Andre, if this wasn't written about you, it sure seems like it should have been:
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Jan/080104.htm

motopacsman said...

Wow, BJ. Thanks for the article and the compliment. The article made me a bit tearful.

I'll blame the tears on the steroids. I'm a guy. I can live in denial.

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing soul and obviously have a lot more to give and receive in this earthly form. I am grateful to you for your blogging (and so is my husband - MM as of April 08, also at SCCA, sched for an auto + mini-allo in Oct). You are in our thoughts and hearts. We know you will kick some %$#!