Saturday, January 05, 2008

Silly random facts

We're going thru the books tonight. Wanted to point out a few shocking financial things.

1) My most recent stay in the hospital = >$76,000.

2) Salt water infusions delivered to my home = ~$250 per day for salt water.

3) Regular daily drugs = more than $2000 per month

4) Transportation, costs of visits, doctors, procedures and sundry. Lots of dough.

December cost about 100,000 dollars. Simple fact. I won't argue against some sort of national health program. If I hadn't had insurance, Ed and I would be on the street with me dying.

Pills: Obviously they work, but how do they know? I mean, I put a bunch of drugs in my body all the time, but why don't the pills all join one another down there and start breeding themselves into a new kinda drug? (Yes, there are interactions sometimes, but nothing like what may be possible.) MacBeth's witches must have been quite the chemists. I take a pill and it does what it's supposed to do. It's magic.

Diet: It's returning. We went out for Chinese last night and Indian tonight. I tried Chicken Saag, which is spicy spinach with chicken. Yeah, it was spicy and I loved it. None of the stuff appears to be killing me afterward and it appears that my upper and lower GI are beginning to function as they should with this kind of diet. We did Thai Khau Soi (spicy) last week and we've been doing the Emeril Lagasse "Bang" here at home. Food is starting to become a major interest around here again. I love food. Upswing while on the downslide.

Eyes: Getting jaundiced more every day since I stopped hydrating. I'm also getting pockets of water between the whites and the external layer of the eye. Basically, water pockets. Everyone is saying No Big Deal. Is it p-GVHD or is it the steroid crash or is it that I'm off hydration for now? Well look into it more tomorrow at the clinic.

Basically, I'm getting better. Slowly, but better. I do things. I stay awake. I try not to cry like a madly menopausal woman. (Although it happens a lot lately for no real reason.)


One last thing. BJShredder, an old bud from back in the day sent a link to an article he says should have been written about me. Here's the link:

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Jan/080104.htm

Made me cry.

1 comment:

Roobeedoo said...

FL was just saying he wondered how much his treatment was worth in a pay-as-you-go health situation - that really is an astonishingly terrible amount of money! But I suppose you get more choice as a paying customer. With the NHS, you have to take what you are given or keep your fingers crossed for a clinical trial.