Friday, December 28, 2007

Some good info

I got my HLA typing sheet from the SCCA yesterday and plugged my primary HLA numbers into the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP) Registry.

Matches are done on the first level with 6 markers. A 6 of 6 match is considered a terrific place to start. There are a couple of levels beyond that, but the 6 of 6 is what you're looking for on the first run.

Looks like I have ONE existing umbilical cord sample that's a 6 of 6. This is a good thing because it's already frozen and theoretically available.

On the other hand, I have something like 263 adult prospects who match me 6 of 6.

So we'll take these numbers to the docs and see where we go from here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to know you've got some prospects! I'm keeping you in my thoughts.
-Kelsey