Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Graft vs Host Disease (GVHD)

Well, it's official. I have pseudo Graft vs Host Disease (pseudo GVHD). It's supposed to be temporary, but they don't know how long "temporary" really is.

So what is it? When stem cells are put back into your system, the stem cells and new bone marrow cells recognize your own body as a foreign object. In short, my new immune system is trying to kill the "invading stranger cells".

Ok, but here's where it gets a little odd. See, I used my own stem cells. The replacement immune system is MINE. The body is MINE. And yet, my immune system is trying to kill my body.

Now, before you get all freaked out, let me explain. It's not like there's a huge bio-war going on inside me. Basically, this P-GVHD is causing inflamation of my entire GI tract, a dry rash all over my face and neck (and spreading), and general lethargy. I don't want to eat, I certainly don't want to eliminate, and I leave a large white patches of skin cells everywhere I put my head.

More than anything else, it's depressing. I was feeling so good just 30 days ago. Now I feel run-down, worn-out, and the sensation that I wanna barf is perpetual. I don't eat. I sleep sporadically, and because of my hydration schedule, I have to pee every 60-90 minutes.

So now they're gonna put me on more pills. 80 mg of Prednisone (a steroid) plus two other drugs QID. Yippee! The breakfast of champions gets bigger!

So what'd we do Christmas day? We sat around and enjoyed one anothers' company. I made dinner (spiral cut glazed ham, mashies, and corn). Then I forced myself to eat some of it with Ed. No gifts, no parties. Just a nice day with my guy.

1 comment:

Yuliya said...

Sometimes those kind of days are the best ones.

GVHD - I was told that a certain degree of it is desirable as it helps in killing whatever stray cancer cells there may be left or may be reviving; now, how/whether that would work in an autologous transplant - I don't have a clue (I'm guessing not, but what do I know - I'm an English major)..

Now where can I get some of that stuff they gave you Friday? ;)