Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Day 18 - New realities.

Either I died yesterday or I didn't post. Hopefully this post will clue you in on the answer to the question.

Eating is a major issue. MAJOR. I'm nauseous all the time, but I don't feel like being doped up by the anti-emetics. Here's the big problem though....... everything tastes strange, and I mean strange!

The thought of chocolate makes me turn green. Water is incredibly bitter. For comparison, take the most bitter pill in your medicine cabinet and suck on it for a while. Gatorade and Coke are acceptable. Tomato based foods are acceptable. Don't think for a minute that they taste like Gatorade, Coke or tomato based foods. They simply taste acceptable enough that I won't vomit them back up.

Lunch today consisted of one scrambled egg made with spaghetti sauce. Yeah, odd but acceptable. Dinner last night was one deboned chicken thigh cooked in Pace picante sauce. Neither of them tasted like they should have tasted, but I kept them down.

Shaving is interesting too. Basically all I have to do is rub my face/head and the hair will fall out. Only takes a couple of strokes. Rub, rub, gone. I wish it was this easy all the time.

So, what's my world like?
1) Get out of bed.
2) Take my "breakfast of champions" handfull of pills.
3) Connect myself to an antibiotic infusion that takes an hour to infuse.
4) Connect myself to a hydration infusion that takes 5.5 hours.
5) Take my afternoon pills.
6) Take my evening pills.
7) Wait 'til it's been 12 hours since starting #3 above and repeat #3.
8) Write down everything I eat or drink in the interim.

Now obviously this doesn't take into account little things like showering and changing my central line dressing. Nor does it figure the flushing of the central line in between infusions, etc. Thank goodness they've reduced my clinic schedule to twice a week now.

All this just to stay alive. Looking forward to getting this over with so I can live.

(1230)

2 comments:

Yuliya said...

This whole food makes you green thing..

.. you're sure you're not just pregnant?!

:)

Hang in there, Andre.. How about some protein shakes with crushed ice and frozen strawberries? I always found cold food to be less likely to cause nausea.

Roobeedoo said...

FL had an addiction to V8 juice - it is a tomato-based drink with assorted other veg and vitamins - I think you can get it in the States too. He lived on that for several weeks until he developed a craving for home-made rice pudding and ice cream... together in the same bowl. Yes, you are both pregnant. Maybe you are having twins?!