Saturday, January 03, 2009

The hospital update.

Several boring days here, but there's been lots of data generated. My PA Kevin is a great communicator.

2 more units of whole blood on Thursday. That's a lot of secret sauce in a short period. Testosterone level check - above normal. Adrenal function test - no results yet. Test being repeated. Drug changes - lighten the load on the kidneys and attempt to impact the lower GI issues. Successful so far! No diarrhea for almost 20 hours.

Rash is increasing, so they advised me this morning they're going to put me on a MASSIVE dose of my least favorite task master. 1mg per Kg of Prednisone. I've never been on such a high dose. I won't enjoy it, but the intent is to eliminate the rash rapidly and see if the gut GVHD can be controlled by a high dose.

My body is gonna FREAK.

Meanwhile, Ed has to get back to Vancouver and we drove down together. Looks like time for the bus or the train.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog.

So sorry about your GVHD. My husband developed it also about 7 months after transplant, mostly involving skin. He started on 130 mg prednisone which he was able to taper gradually. See:

http://purpleride.blogspot.com/2006/06/gvhd.html

The lower picture is his back. Hoping you will respond quickly and can taper the prednisone soon.

Teresa

Anonymous said...

I continue to do Reiki and intend that all your cells get the message to do their appropriate jobs... begone GVHD!!! Annie

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your renewed stress and discomfort. As a fellow myelomic, my hopes are with you.