Sunday, December 14, 2008

Thursday thru Sunday

The SCCA gave me one unit of platelets on Thursday, as we expected. It was the first time I've ever gotten an A+ blood product, so it sorta marked a milestone for me.

Unfortunately I had a reaction (hives) about 3/4 of the way through the transfusion, so they dosed me up with Benadryl. If you've never had The Big B infused directly into your bloodstream, it will knock you on your butt in about 6 seconds. I slept in Room 23 until about 3pm. No hives afterward.

Since I was so groggy, I didn't get much done at home after I returned. I packed my computers and a few minor things, but none of my bigger jobs were accomplished.

So on Friday morning, I awoke to a ton of work. I had things that I needed to do before wandering north to Vancouver. I packed drugs, tools, clothes, some holiday things, my suitcase, and some sundry items into the truck and drove to the border.

Border crossings are getting weird. I have a Nexus card that allows for rapid transit across the border, but holy-moley! All I had to do this time was hold my Nexus card up while I continued to roll toward the guard shack. Green lights all the way. When I arrived at the guard, he asked where I was headed in Canada, then asked if I was carrying anything that I intended on leaving in Canada. I said "No". He said "Have a nice day". I'd love to see the technology they use for reading these cards, pulling up the data, and passing 'acceptables' through. I know they use vehicle weight records and they actively X-ray commercial vehicles. I wonder if I get a little dose every time I pass.

Anyway, I've been in Vancouver with Ed for two nights. Our landlord had a holiday party last night that we were invited to. Interesting group of people and lots of food. Unfortunately I wore out fairly early and we had to go home. The trip downstairs was arduous (not) since it had started to snow.

This morning we awoke with about 4 inches of the powdery white stuff on the ground. Ed's revelations about snow are pretty refreshing, just because he has no experience with it. He revels in the brightness and the quiet.

I'm going back to Seattle *early* tomorrow morning. I have a blood draw at 10:15 on Monday and an oncologist appointment on Wednesday.

My hope/plan is to return to Vancouver from the 18th through January 6. Now I just have to convince my oncologist of that.

2 comments:

Roobeedoo said...

I never get over the wonder of snow! Fingers crossed for a return to Vancouver.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you had a good weekend Andre.

And Roobeedoo, spend a winter in the Canadian Prairies. You'll get over the wonder of snow fairly quickly.

It's -31C here this morning and feels like -47C with the wind.
For the Americans reading, that's -53F with the windchill.