Thursday, December 04, 2008

Day 97 and 98

Today is Day 97 since my mini-allo transplant. Everything is counted one day at a time on Planet Transplant, and day 100 is a supposed milestone. (So are 120, 150 and 180.)

When you think about it in these simplistic terms, it's rather ominous. Why would you count each individual day as a goal / objective if the risk wasn't insanely high?

Anyway, tomorrow is Day 98 and I get some test results. Serum calcium and my M-spike numbers will be provided. They'll tell the tale. No cancer was found in my bone marrow biopsy, but these last two tests will tell us if it seems to be gone everywhere. Notice I used the term "seems". We'll still never know exactly. The Sword of Damocles is a reality for us.

Basically, I'll get one of three different answers tomorrow:

1) The cancer appears to be in remission.
2) The cancer is trending toward remission.
3) The cancer is still active and seems to be returning.

In any of these cases, I still have GVHD. That may eventually decline with drug changes and my body's willingness to overcome issues. It's a process.

Regardless, I'll post more tomorrow.

No comments: