Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Answers

Anonymous asked:

Well, I'm curious.... I know from blood typing that O is universal, so I would suppose that you could accept O donations, and probably will not be giving up any that you have - whatever the mixture - but do you ever become fully one type over time?
My S-I-L is going to be finishing up his Auto during the next few weeks and looking to the Allo in about six months from a female relative... because she is a 10... thank goodness. But will he have hot flashes afterwards?
I know you're not a doctor, but thot you might be able to draw some conclusions based on your research...? Thanks


Yes, I can accept O+ or O- whole blood. I should get A+ or AB+ platelets when available.

Yes, I will probably be 100% A+ within 90 to 180 days. That's 6 to 9 months post transplant.

No, you don't actually change gender, ever. It's just that your blood chromosomes will show you to be the other sex when they start looking for the XX or XY chromosomes. It's sorta like putting Ford stickers on a Toyota. It'll still be a Toyota every day of the year, but it could be misidentified as a Ford if you only look at one aspect of the car.

Here is an article that covers the XX and XY sex identification chromosomes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know that I am going to start calling you Miss DeeDee Ford.

Roobeedoo said...

So... are you having a special bumper sticker made? What will it say?!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Andre, for the answers... as a B(neg) I always try to B positive... (small joke - very small) and I give blood pretty regularly. It was helpful to get the image and gives new meaning to the phrase "sticker shock," don't you think? Imagine if you were a fresh-out-of-class phelbotomist and did a draw on you...and no one bothered to teach this aspect of blood drawing...yikes!

Anonymous said...

Bumper sticker:
My other chromosome was a Y