Monday, November 26, 2007

Your daily fix.

Apparently some people get tweaked when I don't post something for a day or two. Either they're really concerned about me or they need a daily installment of their favorite soap opera, "The Days of our Cells". (Seriously, I appreciate that some of you worry if you don't hear anything from me.)

Odd segue begins here:

I was going to use the title "Make no bones about it" as the soap opera name in the sentence above. Then I got to thinking about what the expression really means.

Well, it apparently means to: 1) state all the facts and leave no doubt. 2) have no hesitation or scruples in speaking about or dealing with some matter, no matter how awkward or unpleasant.

Now, I was originally going to use the expression because of multiple myeloma's severe and debilitating effect on the skeleton. It was going to be my little play on words for the day. Turns out it's a bit more than that. Call it my big play on words for the day.

Are you starting to see a peculiar parallel between multiple myeloma and my method of coping with it in this blog?

Suddenly I feel empowered, as if I own "Make no bones about it". I mean, if MM is destroying my bones, and I'm not making any bones about it destroying my bones....... Well, you understand.

End of odd segue. Resumption of normal thought processes:

The job interview turned out to be a waste of time. I was completely candid with them regarding my health and situation, as well as my expectations for recovery and what I could do for them (and when). They opted to skip the opportunity to hire someone they considered a rare find. In any case, it was good to be reminded I have marketable skills, that I have some commercial value, and that my skillset is unique.

I've been feeling better than I've felt in 18 months. Life has probably been better than this, but I've forgotten when. Of course, this makes it the perfect time for them to hammer me into the bottom of the swamp (which will happen this Wednesday, November 28, 2007).

I spent the day taking care of some minor issues at the SCCA, yelling at some hospital accounting departments where the people are polite but clueless, ordering drugs and medical supplies, and alternating between slight mania and abject fear of the next two weeks.

In 15 minutes I'm going to sneak off to our local Thai restaurant with Ed. They make some incredible fried chicken wings. The Colonel and Popeye could learn a thing or two from the Thais. (The place is called "Thai One On". Yeah, hokey.)

1 comment:

Yuliya said...

Fingers crossed for the next two weeks. Makes typing a bitch but what the hell..

xoxo