Sunday, November 04, 2007

Petechia

Yeah, it's 1:00 am and I've been up watching TV. Bad boy.

But here's the news. I took off my pants and shirt with the lights on. I have petechia (pronounced pet eek ee ah) all over my body.

What are they? They're tiny little blood vessel hemorrhages everywhere on my skin (primarily on the legs due to the increased pressure of gravity). They're caused by my low blood counts. Basically, if there aren't enough red blood cells in your blood, you spontaneously bleed. Add the petechia to the bloody eye, and my counts are probably about as low as they'll let me go without a transfusion. We'll see tomorrow at my appointment at 8:30 am.

Will advise.

1 comment:

Yuliya said...

Actually, IIRC, it's usually low platelets that cause it, so keep keeping your eye on the numbers (how's that for a turn of speech) :)

hugs,

Yuliya