Friday, February 01, 2008

Two odd things for the day.

It's February 1, 2008 and we have newborn chicks outside the window (chattering incessantly). Our winter has obviously been quite mild. These seem to be a bit early. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never heard this chatter so early. I hope we don't get a deep freeze in Feb.... I'm not able, nor should I rescue them. Nature will have to prevail.

The other oddity happened at about two in the afternoon. I was standing in the kitchen looking out the back window when our local bob-tailed raccoon, who shall now be known as Bob, walked calmly across the back deck. Bob only has about 4 inches of tail.

In any case, I stepped immediately into "home protection mode" and rapped violently on the window. Bob simply looked up at me, unfazed. Then he stood there, silently asking "What is it you want? I'm a raccoon. I live in the neighborhood and I'm passing through. Do you try to make the squirrels go away?"

So I rapped on the window again and waved my arms. His response: "Like I've never seen THAT before. You bore me. I'm going back to my business." And with that, he moved on from the minor inconvenience I'd caused him

I guess city wildlife is more familiar with us than we are with them. As long as he doesn't try to live in my attic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If the racoon ever stops and flips you off, then you know it is WAY too familuar with city life.