Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Tuesday's 10+ hour day.

Yesterday I had my usual Tuesday appointments at the SCCA. Little did I know how it would turn out.

I arrived at 9a for my blood draw. I think it was only 8 vials this time. Then I went upstairs to have a meeting with Nutrition. There's been no change in my GI since Friday. Hmmmmm... time for more tests, including the threat of renewed spelunking from each end. Fortunately the spelunkers declined. Then came time for the ID doctor to poke her head in. She said I was probably doing fine from her side, but that we needed to decide whether I have GVHD or CMV (or both). She wanted some tests too. You know the tests. They're the ones you do privately. Nobody wants to help you. You're on your own, fella!

And then it was time to meet with the team. Would we decrease the steroids? Would we increase them? Decision: Do nothing. Keep them where they are and we'll see you on Friday.

Then came the shocker. "Your hematocrit is only 25. When would you like your transfusion? Today or tomorrow?" I chose "today" (Tuesday). Let's finish this little fiasco in one move. Don't drag it out.

So I went downstairs to get another blood test, a type and cross, to see if my blood type was the same as it used to be. It was. O+

At 3p, they hooked me up. At 7:15p, they disconnected me and let me go home. Two units of whole blood.

I was grouchy for some reason. I've been slightly tired all day. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit more productive now that I have some red blood cells again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should feel better. I know what I feel like after donating. Can't imagine being two units low.