Saturday, March 29, 2008

Fragility

I came within a half second of being killed on Thursday. Yeah, really.

One of my friends was buying a motorcycle for her girlfriend. I found the proper bike, tested it, inspected it, and then bought it on their behalf. The friend and I picked it up on Thursday morning and I rode it back to their house.

About halfway there, I came upon an intersection that made me a bit cautious... An SUV turned left across my lane.... not dangerously close, but not as comfortably as I like..... I'll call this SUV#1

I must have noticed that the Jeep SUV behind SUV#1 approached the intersection rather aggressively, because I took note.... I assumed she might not have seen me because SUV#1 blocked her view. Years of experience playing CYA on the street.....

And then she stopped and we made eye contact so I proceeded thru the intersection at about 30 mph.

That's when her tiny little brain failed. She kept her eyes on me as she quickly began to accelerate and turn left across my lane. I was close enough that I didn't get to the brakes until I was on her. Fortunately, her brain reconnected and she stopped her crusher without blocking all of my lane.

After I un-clenched my ass from the seat, I actually laughed about the whole thing. Oh, the irony! Think about how many people would have had a sucky day if I'd impacted the front of the Jeep.

1) My friend would have lost a decent sum of money. She hadn't insured the bike yet.
2) The girlfriend wouldn't have gotten her big surprise.
3) Ed could be burying me or visiting me in the hospital again.
4) My part would have sucked regardless of whether I died or was just maimed.
5) The SCCA and the insurance company would have wondered what they'd been doing for the last 18 months.
6) My good readers would have asked WTF?
7) My family would have asked WTF?
8) Some meat-head would have posted, "At least he died doing what he liked to do.", as if I enjoy bouncing off the front of SUVs driven by the brain dead.

Yeah, some of that it tongue-in-cheek.

Remember a previous post about the possibility of being hit by a bus? Thursday was proof that life keeps happening to all of us, even cancer patients. None of us is guaranteed tomorrow.

I took it as a reminder: Be nice to people. Tell friends and family how you feel. Smile.

2 comments:

tim's wife said...

My neighbor got creamed by a bus.
She survived though she was hurt
pretty bad and I'm sure some parts of her body will know when rain is coming sooner than others. 3 weeks
later my young husband was dx'ed with MM while fighting for his life
with a strep sepsis infection. I said to him "why couldn't you
get hit by a freekin bus?!!!"

tim's wife said...

To clarify, I meant INSTEAD of getting MM not in addition. I re-read that comment and realized it might be misunderstood.