Sunday, March 23, 2008

Food, self indulgence, and normalcy

I've been eating like a pig for the last 2-3 weeks. My last weigh-in showed me at about 175#, a gain of about 15# from post-transplant. The rational side of me says this is a good thing. The emotional side of me says it feels good to enjoy food. The truth is that I need to slow down.

The physical therapy helped a lot in the weight gain department. It made me active quickly and encouraged me to stay active at home. The domino effect took over and I gained strength and endurance fairly rapidly. There seem to be actual muscles in my arms and legs again.

The new chemo, Revlimid, has caused very few side effects thus far. Peripheral neuropathy (PN) hasn't increased. I also don't think the Revlimid has made me as stupid as the Thalmid (thalidomide) used to. (Ed agrees.)

I've discontinued use of my anti-PN drugs. I still get charlie-horses in my feet and calves sometimes while I'm sleeping, but the cramps are better than the dopey feeling I get from the drug.

On Wednesday I'll see a dermatologist about a rash I've had for at least 3 weeks. We've tried everything to make it go away. Topical steroids, antifungals, disinfectants, different soaps, moisturizing creams, etc. It's pretty tenacious. It's slightly itchy and has restricted itself to the areas of my body that are covered by close fitting clothes. It's an inconvenience.

Maybe I'm allergic to beer...... NOT! There is no temporal correlation between my drinking beer and the rash. (But those are the depths to which we've searched for a solution.) Heck, maybe I should rub Budweiser all over my body just to make sure.

Anyway, spring has sprung, I'm feeling more human, and a new normalcy has crept into the house. It's refreshing to look uphill and not crosshill.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What do you use for fabric softener? Dryer sheets perhaps?
Ruth has recently discovered they drive her crazy. Use them in the dryer, rash around her ankles. Stop using them, stops immediately.