Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Unfortunate event.

I had problems this morning. I took the my newest prescription, Cyclosporine, which is used to prevent transplant rejection. It's supposed to make my body more accepting of the transplanted cells.

Well, I had a systemic reaction to the drug. Big time. Thankfully I was in the center when it started.

50mg of Diphenhydramine thru my central line and it started to subside after almost an hour.

Ever take Benadryl? That's diphenhydramine. 50mg is equal to two regular tablets, except they injected them right into my bloodstream thru my central line. Holy krapp! It actually made me spaz out.......

Anyway, I have to go back tonite at 6:30 to retest/challenge the drug to see if I have the same reaction.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

IV benadyrl isn't pleasant at all, but thankfully it did it's job, and thank goodness you were at the center. Is all this being done on an outpatient basis?
Good luck with the re-challenge.
Tracie

Roobeedoo said...

Andre! The unexpected perils! So glad to hear you were in the right place when it happened.