Friday, August 24, 2007

The ABC's of doctor selection.

First, let me say that Ed and I are apparently "famous" in Seattle oncology circles. It's odd, but every oncologist I've talked to has heard of my situation. Apparently I was used as an example at a recent conference and everyone in town has some familiarity with me / us.

Certainly this isn't something to which one should aspire. Nobody got rich being a famous patient. However, since we find ourselves in this odd little predicament, it's certainly advantageous. Seattle is a big center for cancer research and treatment and this puts lots of brain power at our disposal.

So anyway, because of the job / insurance / coverage situation, we've been looking for new doctors. My previous oncologist was Dr. C., Dr. C. went to Dr. A. to talk about a peripheral issue, so now I see Dr. A. for that. My new oncologist is Dr. B. so I literally have Drs. A, B, and C (except C is really an X).

But the trouble is that I also saw a Dr S. at the local county hospital. Dr. S. is a good guy. He's called me personally a couple of times from his cell phone to ask questions and make recommendations. He's direct and we communicate well. He seems to actually care. I LIKE THE GUY.

However, he works in the county facility. YUCK! Sorry, but I have an objection to sitting in the waiting room with meth and crack junkies who can't wait to get their scripts refilled. I met with Dr. S. some 40 minutes late because of poor time management on the part of the facility. Quite frankly, Dr. S. seems to be the only one who gives a crap. Everyone else seems to simply tolerate what ever comes in the door.

So now I have to fire a good doctor. I honestly hope it won't contribute to his eventual dissatisfaction with the situation at that facility. It has to be frustrating to go through all that schooling....to dedicate yourself to a cause.... and have to treat patients in a setting like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, as long as Dr.S doesn't say F.U., you're A OK.