Saturday, September 30, 2006

Trust me, I'm a professional!

Communication...... I've come to believe that the difference between a SuperDoc and an AverageDoc is communication.

I visited a SuperDoc early last week. She communicated with me, then she communicated with my AverageDoc. Turns out that they knew the same info, shared the same opinion, and each one convinced the other to change a small part of the project plan. Unfortunately, AverageDoc still doesn't get it.

PATIENTS DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY DON'T KNOW.

So it's up to the doc to answer patient questions and then tell thier patient the answers to the questions they DIDN'T ask!

It's not right to tell the patient "Come in for some x-rays and we're going to give you some pills."

"What are the Xrays for? What do the pills do?"

"Oh, the Xrays will tell us how your bones are doing and the pills will start your chemo."

"Ok, why are you interested in my bones, and what are the side effects of the chemo meds?"

"Oh, well....... it's very complicated."

"Then start explaining. I have time."

"Trust me, I'm a professional."

Professionals make mistakes and I don't come equipped with a reset button. Explain the whole thing to me and let me make some decisions (or at least understand the program.) Let me know what to expect so I can at least tell you if it's working or not. I can be our first line of defense against failure if I know what's supposed to happen.

Quite honestly, I feel like I'm a car and my owner isn't being allowed to watch what the mechanic is doing.

So if you're a doctor, don't leave the patient out of the equation. You should be treating a patient, not a disease! Subtle difference. Major importance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of medicine in 21st century America. Disappointing isn't it? Doctors from general practice all the way to speacilists are just as you described. Tell superdoc your concerns (as posted). If she can't be your regular doc on this maybe she could refer you to another more compatable doc who will not leave you in the dark. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Why can't you change to the SuperDoc?

motopacsman said...

Oh, it's pretty simple. MONEY.

I work for a hospital chain that takes pretty good care of their employees on the benefits end. AverageDoc is a 'co-worker'.

If I go to SuperDoc, it'll cost me close to a half-million dollars. SuperDoc works for a research facility associated with the University of Washington.

I just need to ask the right questions so AverageDoc keeps me informed.