Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Tenth night

Ed here, writing from Vancouver. I decided to stay in Canada because it's probably not safe for me to be on the road. I've been driving back-and-forth from Vancouver to Seattle. That's 140 mi each way. Since Andre's been hospitalized, I've put 1120 mi in my car. That's the equivalent driving distance from Seattle, WA to Los Angeles, CA (or from New York City to Kansas City).

It’s Andre’s 10th night in the hospital. He’s slowly getting better. This morning, the doctor said that he can leave the hospital on Friday at the earliest. They really want to see him start eating more which is more difficult than it sounds. The TPN he's hooked to have this effect of taking away one’s appetite. Additionally, his GI trouble is not fun and he thinks eating less will correspondingly decrease the pain he feels every time he goes to the loo.

Last night, Andre requested a soft taco from “the Bell”. It was the nurse who pointed out to us that it was an appropriate choice since it was Cinco de Mayo (I know…it’s not really Mexican food). Had I remembered, I would have snuck in some ‘ritas too.

4 comments:

Roobeedoo said...

Ed, we are so glad you didn't do that drive! You need time to rest too! Good to hear Andre is improving. I'm afraid I don't get the food reference - it is probably a joke (?!) but please don't try to explain it - I'm sure your US readers understand! : )

Paul said...

The 5th of May, or Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican (at least here in America) holiday and he was talking about bringing a soft taco from Taco Bell (a quasi-Mexican fast food retaurant). Hey, at least he's eating something, even if it contains "mystery meat". Thanks for the update, Ed. You have to take care of yourself, too.

Ron said...

Ed,
When Andre is felling better, be sure to rib him about taking the man out of Texas but not being able to take Texas out of the man.

Ron said...

Great, now he's going to rib me about the typo.
Looking forward to it.