Saturday, September 23, 2006

UPDATE

Ok, here's the update. Looks like I have Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia, not Multiple Myeloma. They're closely related, but one is more rare than the other.

Well, in my usual inimitable style, I chose the rare one. Exclusivity has value! NOT!

According to the websites, only about 1500 people per year are diagnosed with Waldenstrom's. Unfortunately, this means that very very few oncologists have ever seen a case in front of them. What's that mean? It means I'm lucky enough to have more scientific mindpower researching this matter, between Ed and our friend Pam, than the hospital chain I'm visiting.

Anyway, the prognosis doesn't look good, and everything we read on the web is tainted by people trained to put a positive spin on the worst possible news.

As an example..... the doc says "patients live for years". Yeah, statistically they might, because this disease is generally discovered after the patient is 65, and when the patient is asymptomatic.... Therefore, he can live 8-12 years before the first of the big 7 symptoms appear.

Meanwhile, mine was discovered at 51 after I suffered thru 6 of the big 7 symptoms. What's that mean? Hell, nobody knows...... nobody's ever seen anyone with 6 of 7 walking around and going to the office every day.

So, keep an eye out on here. Keeping up with my progress will make you just as experienced and just as savvy as most doctors. ;-)

Just because I'm sick, doesn't mean I stopped being a wise-ass.